Release v1.0.5

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2010 at 7:50 AM
Edited Dec 14, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Features planned for delivery in v1.0.5

1. Custom Growl Rules - this will allow you to inject your custom logic to decide on how a HealthCheck Result is passed to Growl. The main idea here is that currently all Results are sent as Growl information alerts - it would be useful to be able to set the Growl severity, message and any other properties as you require - for instance your custom rule might turn the Growl alert to severity "Emergency" if a particular value or condition is reported. I'll ship a generic, configurable rule component as an example but this should cover the "for instance" scenario above which is the main use case. I'll create a base class to simplify creating your own ones too.

2. Add "offline" mode to WCF Publisher - at the moment if you are using a distributed setup with remote Agents publishing via WCF then if the "server" Agent goes offline the remote Agents will crash - there is no error handling for the WCF call to fail. The main reason I see this as being important is that if you need to reconfigure MonitorWang (to update a rule, publisher etc) then in doing so all the remote Agents will crash if they attempt to WCF publish whilst the "server" Agent is down. If the call fails the WCF publisher will queue up the results not sent then try to flush them if a connection can be re-established. Logic for how many to queue up, how old/expiry etc T.B.D.

3. Add a "How To" guide to the documentation section. MonitorWang is quite feature rich now and supports a good set of HealthChecks - I think a guide on what it can do by example will show you the power of some of the Health Checks like the LogParser and Sql scalar check. Like Ayende said - if it's not documented it doesn't exist!

Coordinator
Dec 28, 2010 at 9:19 PM

v1.0.5 released - didn't get a chance to implement the "offline" mode to the WCF publisher (implemented a configuration for the TypeDiscovery component instead) - will reschedule this feature this for the next release.