Release v1.0.8

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:28 AM
Edited Feb 28, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Ideas for this release include...

• HipChat result publisher.
  • App Stats component (inspired by this post: http://etsy.me/dQwVXi) - dump your application stats directly into MonitorWang (using the NServiceBus publisher in your app code). A nice fluent interface to allow you to track counts for any operation you think has visualisation value. Specifically I see this being useful for 1) tracking the performance of operations - eg: use a simple timer to time the length of some application operation then dump this to MonitorWang and 2) to count operations, publishing a message when an event occurs - then track/visualise this by "operations per second/minute". Using the NSB publisher also means it a fire and forget, out of band operation from the client code perspective so shouldn't impact performance.
  • AgentData db table data cleaner HealthCheck - it's a HealthCheck that actually removes redundant/old/unwanted MonitorWang data. The idea is this...say you monitor stuff - maybe a Url ping time or some business KPI but you really don't need to keep more than the last N days worth, this task would be set to execute once a day to remove any data over N days old so keeping your db nice and trim.
    • In fact this could be implemented as a generic run sql command (ExecQuery) so that you could run any command you like - I'd just include this one with MonitorWang already setup with the right Sql.....hmmmm, I like this a lot! It would be a simple refactor of the existing Sql Scalar code to make it happen.
  • Fix problem with running as a windows service on x64 based machines. Required an update of the TopShelf framework. (Thanks to David Strickland for discovering & working out what the problem is).
  • Anything else? any requests?
Mar 5, 2011 at 8:23 PM
Edited Mar 5, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Almost three weeks since that initial ideas brainstorm for the next release and here is an update.

I've been working on the AppStats feature and this is code complete. Although this is finished it does require some work on the Geckoboard Data Service to ensure the AppStats data captured can be adequately visualised in Geckoboard - so the remaining work for the next release is focused on improving the Geckobaord Data Service interface.

v1.0.8 will therefore contain these updates,

• AppStats feature
    • Fluent NServiceBus configuration framework - zero config file setup for NSB
  • Improved Geckoboard Data Service
  • Rebuild against the latest TopShelf release to fix broken x64 service install

Please check the Roadmap page for more information about features that are planned - please contact me if you have any suggestions

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:30 AM
Edited Mar 21, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Ok, some testing with the AppStats feature reveals a major problem with MonitorWang & NServiceBus. A while ago I upgraded MonitorWang to use the latest build of Castle/Windsor (v2.5.2) - unfortunately this would have broken the NServiceBus related publishers etc as the NSB binaries used an older version of Castle, not compatible with the latest one.

The upshot is that I have had to upgrade to the latest v2.5 NServiceBus as this allowed me to recompile it against the same version of Castle - this work is still ongoing but hope to have it fixed in the next day or two and then this release out shortly.