When are Checks loaded

Developer
Mar 24, 2011 at 5:51 PM

If I make a change to the check.castle.config file, do I need to restart the service, or will it pick up on the next schedule?

Coordinator
Mar 24, 2011 at 6:14 PM

They are loaded at startup so would require a restart to pick up any config change.

Coordinator
Mar 24, 2011 at 6:35 PM

That said I have an evil (long term) plan to integrate MonitorWang with my other project trollr.net... http://trollr.codeplex.com - this would allow real time tweaks to running MW components, eg: change any config property on the fly @ runtime without restarting the service - this would *not* be able to add/remove components.

I also want to create an configuration API and GUI - local only at first but then remote via the API. This would allow full reconfiguration of Agents (add/remove components) but with a restart. Possibly add a group mode to do the same config operation to a bunch of Agents at once.

I'd be keen to hear your requirements for reconfiguring Agents - group? without restart? what would be important features? I'll create an "incubating" discussion if we want to shape this further.

Developer
Mar 25, 2011 at 5:10 AM

The main use cases that I've had so far is enabling/disabling checks/publishers and changing the schedule of checks.